ITC298: Special Topic – WordPress CMS
Time: T/TH – 3:30pm to 4:50pm
Instructor: Adam Eivy
Class Hours: 33 + finals week
Length of Course: 11 weeks
Prerequisite: none — though, the more you know, the more you will get out of WordPress as a CMS
Standard – Access to a web server, thumbdrive, etc…
Through lectures, assignments and exercises, students will gain hands on experience with using WordPress as a Content Management System (CMS).
Upon successful completion of this class, the student will be able to:
- Explain the difference between the 3 kinds of WordPress applications
- Explain why WordPress is a good choice for a CMS
- Install a WordPress site
- Configure WordPress to display a static page on the main site index
- Create pages and posts in WordPress
- Find and use Plugins
- Understand and manage Widgets
- Find and install Themes
- Customize Themes
- Find and use documentation on the WordPress API
Presentation: Lecture, demonstration, online materials and hands-on tutorials
All of your assignments are pieces of your overall final project: To make a custom WordPress website. I highly recommend making a portfolio or converting your existing portfolio to WordPress. If you do not want to make a portfolio, the site theme/purpose is totally up to you. You will present your sites in class on Finals Week.
Your final grade will be a culmination of your class assignments, which will
- create an overall Class Project (a WordPress site)
- require critical thinking and problem solving skills
- be assigned each week according to each week’s lecture page
- be due the 1st class day of the following week (assignments are given on Tuesday, at the start of class and due the next Tuesday, at the end of class).
- be marked down 25% for every week they are late
(Americans with Disabilities Act) If you need course adaptations or accommodations because of a disability, if you have emergency medical information to share with me, or if you need special arrangements in case the building must be evacuated, please contact me ASAP.
One thought on “Syllabus”
I am not sure if I am supposed to enter my assignment info here or via another email. please let me know if I am sending to the wrong place.
I am submitting my WordPress site for the assignments we have covered so far.